Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Chore Charts and Trying to Teach Responsibility

Brian and I are big believers in trying to teach Hannah to take responsibility . . .  for the things she has and for her actions (or lack of action).
Keeping that in mind, we have tried different methods in the past to teach her -- from chore charts, groundings, earning money, positive reinforcements, negative reinforcements, etc. But she is still a little girl and like most children, she doesn't really like to do what she doesn't WANT to do. And many times she complains . . . LOUDLY.
But we keep on training her and showing her by example that it is very important that we keep a clean house and body, and that sometimes we all have to do what we may not consider fun. But all in all, if we all do what we need to do, it leads to a much happier and peaceful home and family.

So I'm trying once again, to make "chores" fun . . . or at least less of a dread. I scour the Internet -- especially Pinterest --  looking for ideas and I found one I though might actually work. A mini chore and things to do chart.
The trick is to make it cute and small so that it's easier for the kids to look at it.
Here is the original link ...    http://www.brownpaper--packages.com/2012/08/chore-chart-on-ring.html


And now for "Hannah's Chores and List of Things To Do"



The first thing I did was type in the title and then each day and lists of the things she was responsible for each day. Notice that not all things are chores and they do change slightly from day to day. All things are age appropriate and I have carved out 10 to 30 minutes of reading time each day except Tuesday, depending on when we have family worship or personal study. Since worship and personal study both entail a lot of reading, I shortened those days' reading time.
Then I printed them out on different sheets of brightly colored paper, cut them out and laminated them. I cut them out again and rounded the corners. (I hate sharp corners, they hurt more than you would think they do)
After that, I put them on a ring. (You can buy a package of about 8 to 10 rings at the most stores for less than $2)





Then I decorated each page with cute little dragonfly and flower pop-ups.
Finally, I hung the chart up on the front of our refrigerator to help remind her to do her chores. I really like the magnet hooks I found. They really make putting things on the refrigerator a lot easier.


We just implemented it this week, so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully, this one will work!

Do you have any ideas to help kids learn responsibility?

3 comments:

  1. Can you make one of those for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. You're great, Deb! I was thinking I needed to make me a really cute chore chart, too. I SHOULD come up with something for us adults!

      Delete