Friday, August 10, 2012

The Cherry Clafoutis Experiment... not as difficult as it sounds

After hitting a sale on cherries a couple weeks ago, I desperately needed to find a recipe that used my beautiful bing cherries because, as I was the only one eating them, those cherries just weren't disappearing that fast.
After searching for a while, I stumbled upon a Cherry Clafoutis recipe.
That's right.
I was going to be speaking French by the end of the night!
Ok, maybe not, but the title sounded deceptively complicated and just intriguing enough that I had to try it.
It's basically just a French custard with cherries. You can make it with other berries and fruits, too.

So here it is. My attempt at Cherry Clafoutis.


Cherry Clafoutis

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound cherries
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray cake pan generously with non-stick cooking spray.
  • Wash and dry the cherries and remove the stems and pits. The recipe I found said not to remove the pits because it adds extra flavor, but I really didn't want to bite down on a pit.
  • Distribute the cherries in the pan.
  • Whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl. 
  • Whisk in the milk. 
  • Whisk in the eggs, melted butter and vanilla extract. 
  • Pour batter on top of the cherries.
  • Bake for 45 minutes or until the custard is cooked through.

 Can be served warm or cold.

See... Simple. Just the kind of recipe I like.
Mine didn't turn out as pretty as the other pictures I saw, but it tasted good anyway.
Next time I'll try another fruit.

2 comments:

  1. That looks really yummy!!!! Oui, Oui! Trop bon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. I really liked it. One of my best friends is going to try it with blueberries this weekend!

      Delete