Thursday, September 20, 2012

Easy Peasy French Bread

I really have to get back into my blog :D Life with a husband and a 6-year-old can get super busy sometimes. I don't know how other mothers who have to work outside the home do it.
My parents came for a visit last weekend. I forget how much I miss them. I really wish I could sell my property and get them closer to Brian, Hannah and I.
Meanwhile, our assembly this weekend was sorely needed. It's amazing how we always get the spiritual food we need precisely when we need it.

Today's recipe is the French bread I made for the potato soup Friday night. I never thought I would make homemade bread but guess what? It's actually REALLY easy and only takes about an hour! Like it was just asking for me to make it!

Easy Peasy French Bread

Ingredients:
  • 2 ½ cups warm water
  • 2 tablespoons yeast 
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons oil
  • 5 ½ to 6 cups flour

Directions:
Add yeast to the warm water. Sprinkle the sugar over the yeast and water. Let it sit for about five minutes until you see the yeast get all bubbly on top.
Stir in the salt, oil and flour.

Knead the dough for a few minutes until it is smooth and pulls away from the bowl. Like above.

Cover your bowl with a warm wet towel and let the dough sit for about 15 minutes. TIP: turn the microwave on for two minutes and set the bowl of bread dough in the warm microwave for the 15 minutes. This warm environment makes the bread rise a lot faster.
The dough should have almost doubled after the 15 minutes.


Divide the dough into two long loaves and place side by side on a greased cookie sheet. Take a knife and slash the tops of each loaf diagonally.


Allow the loaves to sit for a few minutes while you preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.







OPTIONAL: Add herbs to mixture.
OPTIONAL: For an extra crunchy crust, mix together one egg white with 1 tablespoon cold water and brush on cooked bread. Cook for another 3 minutes.




See? Easy Peasy!

No comments:

Post a Comment