Monday, July 30, 2012

Family menu board


Welcome to my little corner of the world. I'm Regina and in 2011 I became an accidental housewife and stay-at-home "bonus" mom (I dislike the term stepmom) of a beautiful now 6-year-old girl. I enjoy photography, cooking, crafts of all sorts, organizing, writing and saving money. I've recently discovered that I really like experimenting with new styles for my daughter's hair and am trying different nail designs... when she sits still enough to let me.
In this blog, I will share bits and pieces of projects, recipes and even some money saving tips. And you might learn a little more about me :D

Today's project is a new menu board I finished last week. I got tired of the boring dry erase board on the refrigerator and wanted to try something new and pretty. I think the finished project turned out pretty good and it's functional, too.
Here are some of the items I used to create the menu board.
First, I bought a large foam board and a roll of satin ribbon from Walmart. Together they totaled about $4. I had everything else I needed. So the entire project was extremely inexpensive. I also used glue sticks, but for the ribbon you could use hot glue. I had glue sticks handy because I just stocked up during the back to school sale.
Then I glued two 12x12 pieces of matching scrapbook paper down the center of the board, overlapping onto the back a bit.
I then glued two pieces of ribbon down the sides, folding around to the back so the foam board wouldn't show. I glued one piece of ribbon on the top and one on the bottom of the board, also folding around to the back.
I created days of the week pieces of paper by cutting a brown piece of scrapbook paper with my deckle scissors. I stamped a pretty daisy design in white, making sure it wasn't too "perfect" and then stamped the names of the days. I pasted them on the board, leaving room at the top for the menu title.

I found a cute little piece of clipart that said "Enjoy your meal." I liked it better than just "Menu."
Then I had some scrap 12x12 white pieces of paper from an old scrapbook, so I cut those into small strips of paper to write the menu items on.
I use little push pins to pin the menu items on my board.
Voila! A new and adorable menu board!
Tomorrow I will post the Grocery and Menu folders I made to help keep my kitchen organized.

1 comment: