Thursday, January 3, 2013

In searchof a healthier breakfast: homemade instant oatmeal packs

A few weeks ago, we decided to try and eat healthier. One of the changes for my husband was giving up his daily eggs and toast.
In searching for a different but still tasty solution, my husband told me he really likes the instant oatmeal packets. They are so quick and easy but filled with chemicals and the price can really add up.
My friend Keri reminded me about some homemade instant oatmeal she had seen on Pinterest and I searched for the recipe.
Yep, there it was. Homemade instant oatmeal. But I wouldn't be me if I followed a recipe to the letter. So in our packets I added flax seed. It's good for you and supposed to lower the bad cholesterol and raise the good. And face it, who doesn't need that.
So without further ado...



Homemade Instant Oatmeal

  • 1/2 cup instant oats
  • 2 teaspoons dry milk
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon flax seed
  • Dried fruit, if desired

Simply mix together and place in a Ziploc or snack bag.
In the morning, add 1/2 cup of water or milk and heat in microwave.







My husband really likes them and they are so easy to make. I just throw one in his lunch box in the morning and he has a hot breakfast when he gets to work.
Who knew it would be that easy?

No comments:

Post a Comment