Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Homemade Taco Seasoning... Tasty and no chemicals

As a wife and mother, I am interested in trying to limit the number of additives and chemicals in my family's diet. I think we would feel better and it will teach Hannah that some things are just better homemade. After all this is the child who loved boxed mashed potatoes and hated my homemade mashed potatoes the first five or six times I made them. Now she prefers the homemade kind and has learned to like fewer and fewer premade and boxed meals.
Not that I'm above making Hamburger Helper or slipping a Totino's pizza into the oven on a busy day. :o) I'm not going overboard... yet.  (I did mention that I can be OCD, right? So who knows where this will lead me.)
My family loves tacos but I hate buying the package seasoning, especially since I found several homemade seasoning mixes online. They're cheap and easy to make... with absolutely no additives.
After trying a few, I finally found one that we really like. It's super easy and I bet you have all the ingredients in your pantry!

Taco Seasoning
Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ¼ teaspoon onion powder
  • Pinch cayenne or ground red pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon oregano
  • ½ teaspoon paprika
  • 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon pepper




Directions:
  • Mix together.


Yes. It is THAT easy.
One recipe equals two packages.
And tomorrow you get to see the yummy and easy taco soup I made with this delicious seasoning.

1 comment: